Friday, June 27, 2008

Another letter to the King

Man, this King-guy never checks his mail. It's starting to bother me. Maybe he doesn't <3 anymore? I should send him chocolates or flowers or something.

Anyway, here it is:

Holy Emperor, Divine Instrument of His Will and Knower of Truths;

Scarcely a day in to our informal alliance, the Count and I have perhaps uncovered something far more devious. Through careful research and talking with contacts, we have learned that the town Watch have been campaigning against your kin. One of them, ChaoticAtomBomb, is even posing as a serial killer!

Last night was the bloodiest yet. We discovered a spy in our midst and were forced to execute the chamber maid Rosaline after we found her passing on information about the Count and I to our enemies. Whom those enemies are is not yet verified. We have seen worrying signs and misinformation deliberately being broadcast – though I would not go so far as to accuse house Capulet of wilfully following the plans our secret adversary Mercutio, I fear it is only a question of when, not if, they will formally join together.

They are without leadership, without hope, without purpose – they live only for revenge, now.

The Count and I are working on identifying and expunging the seeds of evil from Verona. Capulet, willingly or otherwise, continues to step in the way.

Together, Count Paris and I laid a trap for the enemy Citizens. In to this trap fell Petruchio, posing as ‘Kaiba’. As you must surely remember, ‘Kaiba’ was one of the ring leaders in the death of your son, and TheHumbleGrasshopper – aka ‘Anthony’, leader of the Watch – was also implicated. We also noticed ‘ChaoticAtomBomb’ had a hand in your sons death. We will grant him a harsh reckoning.

By sunrise we hope to have removed forever this threat to the Crown.

We have some leads on the identities of the remaining traitors. I have lost several family members in the proceeding evenings, however I knew when we pursued the course of justice, my loved ones were at risk. This thought did not give me pause; indeed, I felt only to keenly the biting blade of sorrow and regret. Then I considered His Highness’s position.

Now is no time for tears. Now is needed men of action, men who will do rather than say, men who are not afraid to stand up in the night and say, “Once more, into the breach!” I look around this town and I see good men, men with fear in their eyes, men who would gladly give their lives in your name and no doubt will have to do so to end this plague upon our town. I also see weasels, cut-throats, snakes and foxes, I see shadows filled with baleful glowing eyes watching out with greedy mouths to tear apart the good things that you have placed here. For every bastard we cut down, another raises from b’neath him, but we are men of honor and we will never tire. This town will be saved by blood, fire, and sword – if it cannot be absolved, then it shall be redeemed instead.

I am afraid, I feel the same fear that every other must have – that death will come for him, secretly in the night, like a thief that cannot move during the day for his evil acts cannot be seen under the light of the sun. For God, noble and true, would surely strike down the sinner so much as look at him, and to sin in broad daylight – to kill, to take away your peaceful servants lives – they know what they do is wrong.

If it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive. That he which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart; his passport shall be made, and crowns for convoy put into his purse; we would not die in that man’s company that fears his fellowship to die with us. But we in it shall be remembered – we few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition; and gentlemen in England now-a-bed shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us in these darkest hours.

Let Count Paris be the torch that banishes the shadows, and we will be his shield and sword. Though our enemy are many, we too are of great number and though I sense I will not live to see the end of this battle I am but one and many will replace me.

In short; though surely dark days lie ahead, the sun is bright, and the air is sweet. Should I find a better way to leave this green earth than defending your name? Nay, there is not one.

I go now to battle and victory. Your will be done.

Lord Montague

No comments: